*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

Word about the appellate victory for Napster is just getting out
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2376465.html>.  I spent some
time this afternoon visiting a number of Napster/MP3 related web
sites.

You ought to check out the anti-government/music industry talk on
many of the discussion boards.  Prior to the announcement about
Napster having more time, I had the sense that the Napster closing
was going to go down in history as the Tiananmen Square for the music
industry and young music listeners.  While MoveOn.Org allow boomers
(and others I am sure) to sign a petition in protest over Clinton's
impeachment, the Napster/MP3 episode represents one of the first
politicizations of entertainment-interested young Internet users. In
some sense, this is the first time young Internet users have felt the
presence of the state and organized interests limiting their online
freedoms.

I have wondered how those coming on to the Internet "as it is" versus
early users who started with big visions about what it "ought to be"
might differ in their expectations and motivations. I really don't
know.  Will new users take the Internet for granted and not push for
greater civic and political use or will converting tools of private
chat and entertainment to political purposes be second nature?  If it
is the later, then watch out.

It will be important to see how Napster/MP3 users react politically
now that a file/music sharing tool they seem to cherish is
threatened.  While I don't perceive great political savvy among the
pro-napster sites (i.e. no blue ribbon campaign or advanced use of e-
mail list) it is clear that web boards, chat, and personal e-mail
networks are being used to spread the word.

Below are a collection of sites from all sides of the issue.

Steven Clift
Democracies Online Newswire
http://www.e-democracy.org/do

NapsterMania
http://www.napstermania.com

Recording Industry of America
http://www.riaa.com/

Boycott RIAA
http://boycott-riaa.com/

Boycott the RIAA
http://linux1285.dn.net/napster/

Stop Napster - Artists Protecting Artists
http://www.stopnapster.com/

Simple Petition
http://napsterpetition.homestead.com/

MP3 Goes to Washington
http://news.mp3.com/news/liststory/?topic_id=757&month=200007

Artists Against Piracy
http://www.artistsagainstpiracy.com/

Pay Lar$
http://www.paylars.com/

Technie run arounds ...

Napigator
http://www.napigator.com/

OpenNap
http://opennap.sourceforge.net/

FreeNet
http://freenet.sourceforge.net/

Gnutella
http://gnutella.wego.com

AudioGnome
http://www.audiognome.com/

Some news ...

http://fullcoverage.yahoo.com/Full_Coverage/Tech/Digital_Music/

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***