*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

From:
http://slate.msn.com/netelection/entries/00-07-21_86798.asp

Wordgate: Is Minnesota Sen. Rod Grams Running a Cyber-Dirty-Tricks
Campaign?

By David Brauer

Posted Friday, July 21, 2000, at 10:30 a.m. PT

Minnesota's Senate race is spawning the juiciest cyberpolitics
scandal yet. Democratic-Farmer-Labor candidate Mike Ciresi this week
accused Republican Sen. Rod Grams' campaign of a dirty-tricks
operation to send anti-Ciresi e-mails to DFL activists, an apparent
attempt by the GOP incumbent to interfere in the DFL primary
campaign. The missives, which were ostensibly written by a DFL
loyalist, appear to have been composed by Grams' staffers, a
deception caught by Ciresi's campaign through detective work
                             using Microsoft Word.

- end clip -

And this is have a greater impact through secondary media attention

From:
http://www.rollcall.com/pages/politics/shoptalk/

July 27, 2000

   By Amy Keller

   On the Spot. Looking for an edge in the wide-open contest for
   the right to take on Sen. Rod Grams (R) this fall, Minnesota
   Senate candidate Mike Ciresi (D) is rolling out a series of
   campaign "webmercials" for broadcast exclusively on the
   Internet. The ads can be found on his campaign Web site,
   www.ciresiforsenate.com.

   "These webmercials will give a personal look and feel to my Web
   site and allow those who can't meet me in person to find out
   more about me and the issues that face Minnesota and this
   nation," Ciresi said.

   The spots feature Ciresi speaking on issues as well as interviews
   with Minnesotans.

   Ciresi said the Internet ads will allow "greater access to my
   views on important issues of the day which often can't be
   captured in five-second TV sound bites."

   The first two spots -- which are in Realvideo format -- feature
   Ciresi speaking on health care and the importance of education.
   They can be viewed by downloading free viewing software,
   available at www.real.com.

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***