----- Original Message -----
From: "Nonprofit Online News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 4:20
AM Subject: News Feature: The Gilbert Email Manifesto (GEM)

Nonprofit Online News: News Feature

<http://www.gilbert.org/news>

For the convenience of our subscribers, we have placed information
about Nonprofit Online News, such as how to submit news tips, how to
subscribe or unsubscribe, or where to direct questions, at the bottom
of this message.

THE GILBERT EMAIL MANIFESTO (GEM)

   by Michael Gilbert

Original article at:
http://www.gilbert.org/news/features/feature0025.html

Repeat after me:   "Email is more important than my web site!"

I can't stand it any more.  I've listened to too many four hour
workshops about online fundraising in which it's all about web sites,
web sites, web sites. I've been to too many technical assistance sites
that have class  after class on web design. I've heard too many
nonprofits obsess about  their web sites.

I ask nonprofit organizations if they have an email strategy and their
usual response is something on the order of "huh?" They are spending
enormous amounts of money and staff time on their web sites and it's
the  rare exception that even has enough of an email strategy to have
a  newsletter.

They are wasting their money. I'm serious.

Why is this happening?  Is it because web sites are pretty and email
is mostly text?  Is it because people love graphic design?  Is it
because this is the approach that is pushed by the consulting firms?
Or is it perhaps because thinking about email is a little more
difficult, because it is a constantly moving target?

I don't know the reasons for sure, but I do know that something can be
done.

I have been recommending a set of three rules of email that help
nonprofit organizations to develop a genuine Internet strategy and
avoid being seduced by their own web presence:

    Rule #1: Resources spent on email strategies are more
    valuable than the same resources spent on web strategies.

    Rule #2: A web site built around an email strategy is more
    valuable than a web site that is built around itself.

    Rule #3: Email oriented thinking will yield better strategic
    thinking overall.

Nonprofits that truly embrace these three rules will reach a genuine
breakthrough in their online presence. They will seize the initiative
from technologists and guide their own technology on their terms.

Let me elaborate. For each of these principles I will scratch the
surface as to why it's true and how it might be applied. Each of these
is worthy  of several workshops in their own right.

RULE #1: Resources spent on email strategies are more valuable
than the same resources spent on web strategies.

However unglamorous it might be, email is the killer application of
the Internet. It is person to person communication, and the one thing
that breaks down barriers faster than anything else on the net.
Consider these facts:

 - Everybody on the net has email and most of them read most of it.

 - People visit far fewer websites than they get email messages.

 - Email messages are treated as To Do items, while bookmarks are often
   forgotten.  Email is always a call to action.

 - Email is handled within a familiar user interface, whereas each
   website has to teach a new interface.

 - Email is a very personal medium.

Stop obsessing about how many hits your web site gets and start
counting  how much email interaction you have with your
stakeholders. Stop waiting for people to discover your web site and
start discovering their mailbox.

RULE #2: A web site built around an email strategy is more valuable
than a web site that is built around itself.

On some nonprofit list, somewhere, someone right now is asking
how they  can get more traffic on their web site. And someone is
answering by telling  them how to put META tags in their site so they
will get listed in search  engines. This is so tired....

My answer to the question of how to get people to go to your web site?

Send them there with email!

Obviously that means there has to be a purpose for them to go there
that  cannot just be fulfilled with the email message itself. Some of
the obvious ways that a web site can supplement your email strategy
include:

 - gathering email addresses in the first place

 - archiving your relationships with stakeholders (ex: collecting the
   results of surveys)

 - serving as a library to back up your smaller email communications

 - providing actual online tools for your stakeholders

 - providing web forms which allow you to structure your
   communication and pull it into databases

RULE #3:    Email oriented thinking will yield better strategic
thinking overall.

Last year, the most common question I would be asked by journalists
reporting on the Internet and nonprofits was about the role of  the
Internet in fundraising. My response was always the same:

The ability to process credit card transactions is the equivalent of
having a checking account.  It's not very interesting and it's not
actually fundraising.  The true power of the Internet for fundraising
(or any other stakeholder relationship) is the power of the personal
combined with the  power of scale. Nonprofit know how to mobilize
people. By using the Internet appropriately they can do so on a scale
never before possible.

Understanding email will make this possible. True, not all personal
communication online is in email, but email is the canonical "closed
loop  relationship" that direct marketing managers understand so well.
Applied well, it will allow nonprofits to mobilize people like never
before.

Repeat after me:   "Email is more important than my web site!"

   http://gilbert.forms.soceco.org/5771/18/bad88c024f93/

To send us news tips, go to:

   http://gilbert.forms.soceco.org/5771/19/e161caa81ca6/

--

Nonprofit Online News
http://www.gilbert.org/news/

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***