*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://e-democracy.org/do ***
***                                                          ***
*** Up to seven posts a week. To join over 2500 subscribers, ***
*** e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in message:  sub do-wire   ***

A few weeks ago a I put out a call for interesting "e-democracy"
related items that pre-date DO-WIRE.  Someone sent in an archive of
the e-mail list on which I first proposed Minnesota E-Democracy ...
well that was about it.  Last call:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I just bumped into two things of interest:

1. The Open Meeting:A Web-Based System for Conferencing and Collaboration
See:
http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/open-meeting/abstract.html

A detailed article on one the first and largest "online
consultations" (a term not used back then) back in 1995.

2. 1992 Electronic Presidential Town Hall Meeting
From:
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/tt/1992/oct28/27118.html

AI Lab Initiates Electronic Presidential Town Mtg
FAST INFO
AI Lab Initiates Electronic
Presidential Town Meeting
By Kenneth D. Campbell
News Office

The interactive, electronic Presidential town meeting is here, and its
MIT-based computer is responding to 2,000 electronic mail queries a
day from all over the nation and the world.

You can request position papers, discuss and debate issues, and sign
up as a volunteer in any of the four campaigns-Bush, Clinton, Marrou
and Perot-which are on the ballot in all 50 states. Also included is the
Larry Hagelin campaign, which is on the ballot in 28 states. Through
this electronic democracy system, you get back an immediate
computerized acknowledgment, and the position paper information is
often available in minutes.

Eric Loeb, a PhD candidate in cognitive neuroscience, initiated the
multiple-candidate Presidential Campaign Information Service at MIT's
Artificial Intelligence (AI) Laboratory on October 19 as an experiment
to study how electronic mail and the INTERNET national computer
network could facilitate the political process.

John Mallery, a PhD candidate in machine learning and political
science whom Loeb calls "a hacker par excellence," has joined him in the
project, which is under the supervision of Professor Patrick H.
Winston, director of the AI Laboratory.

Loeb estimates that there are 20 million computers in the US. on the
system, which serves the universities, government agencies, the
military, commercial firms and nonprofit organizations. Worldwide, he
estimates, it can connect to 40 million computers.

Loeb and Mallery describe it as a "non-partisan service operated at
MIT to make campaign information available, facilitate electronic
discussion of the issues, and to study the use of electronic mail as a
component of a presidential campaign."

In eight days, about 21,000 messages have been sent by about 1,400
people, from Boston to California to Australia. About 200 people have
volunteered for an individual campaign.

The system, located at the AI Lab, uses a LISP server to program
requests and send out initial mail, with a series of Sun work stations
using UNIX to mail out the 10 megabytes of political positions and
other campaign information that the candidates' have available to send out.

The process is simple. For example, to receive the position papers on
the economy for the campaign of MIT alumnus Andre Marrou, '62, of the
Libertarian Party, you open your electronic mail and type as follows:

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subject: RECEIVE ECONOMY

Then send the message. The same procedure is used for the other
candidates by simply substituting the appropriate candidate's name:
Bush, Clinton or Perot.

You get back a questionnaire giving you various Yes/No options to
volunteer in a state, or to provide campaign feedback, such as ask
questions, make suggestions, get suggestions from other people,
retrieve questions from others, and vote to recommend questions and
suggestions the campaign could consider this week.

You can request to receive speeches; campaign news such as news
flashes, schedules, and press releases; or campaign packages on
various issues.

You can even sign up to discuss (electronically) economic policy,
foreign policy, social policy or political philosophy.

Loeb is interested to see if computers can increase democratic
participation in real life as well as on the computer screen. "It is
all  very well to read your mail and debate, but the bottom line is
getting out the vote. We expect that the most potent use of e-mail is
to get fresh documents to volunteers all over the country, with the
expectation that those volunteers are making hard copies of the
documents and posting/distributing the documents.

"As an experimental service we are providing mailing lists for the
volunteers in each state. Those mailing lists can be used to help
local volunteers coordinate their efforts amongst themselves and with
their state headquarters," he says.

When you register as a volunteer, you are automatically included in
the national volunteer mailing list and will receive any new material that
is made available.

Loeb and Mallery note in the introduction, "The service can neither
control who reads what you write in public, nor how they may use your
written words. For our part, we store most messages, and we will make
them available after the election for scientific study. Names and any
other identifiers will not be released; they will be omitted or
replaced  with random symbols."

The service also lets you ask anonymous questions to each campaign
through a suggestion box. It has its limits, though. There's no
guarantee you'll be answered.

*** Past Messages, Discussion http://e-democracy.org/do ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To UNSUBSCRIBE instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***
*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***