Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:33:48 -0400
From: Dave Farber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [IP] Student Blogs, School Cracks Down

The land of the free... Djf

------ Forwarded Message
From: Kenneth Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:28:29 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Student Blogs, School Cracks Down

Weblogs and journals are nothing new, although they have really taken off
in the past year.
This is a developing story related to freedom of speech and restrictions
on expression.

Kenneth

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://www.leoville.com/mt/:

Free Sammy (07:36 AM)
Category: Technology

Use a blog, go to jail?
One of the Leoville Town Square regulars, BEACHTechie, aka Sam, is a high
school student in Virginia Beach, VA. He recently got busted by the school
administration for blogging, of all things. They seem to think blogging
from school is a violation of their acceptable use policies. Perhaps it is.
Sammy will be blogging from home from now on. But it
seems to me that instead of discouraging blogging they should encourage
each student to create one. After all, most writing classes encourage
their students to keep journals, and that's exactly what a blog is.
I've posted a message of support in Sam's blog, http://www.sammydman.com. I
hope the school reads it.
Ignorance breeds fear. This is why I consider it so important to educate
everyone on the value of computers and the Internet. I hope his school's
administrators take the time to learn about blogging. I think they'll see
that it's no threat.

The Students blog is here:
http://www.sammydman.com/

This is the post:
http://www.sammydman.com/archives/000805.php
Just call me Dennis, I keep on getting in trouble at school!
I was in the office again today, balling my eyes out. Lets just say one of
the options is to have me expelled from the school. I was gasping for air
half the time I was in there. I had to write this affidavit telling them
everything I knew about my blog, how long I had been posting from school,
who else from my school had a blog and everything. I was crying the entire
time. And don't you dare joke me for crying. I mean, you'd cry too if you
had a PERFECT perm. record and then have it screwed up in high school and
mess up your chances of getting into the college of your choice.
I am going to hold back my anger and frustration for the wall in front of
me.
Dad is picking me up in a minute, ttyl.

------ End of Forwarded Message