*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://e-democracy.org/do ***
***                                                          ***
*** Up to seven posts a week. To join over 2500 subscribers, ***
*** e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in message:  sub do-wire   ***

It has been a whirlwind fall. I am back at home base and in the middle
of some serious virtual house cleaning.

Are you gearing up for the new year?  I am.  If the past few month
are any indication, my sense is that 2003 will be a big year for
increasing government interest in the exploration of their important
e-democracy responsibilities.  This is extremely important and my
presentation outline below will give you sense of the momentum that is
emerging.

To get ready for the new year, I have significantly revamped my
http://www.publicus.net web site. It includes a new section on my
speeches and presentations. If you are looking for an e-democracy
keynote speaker or seminar leader in 2003, check out my site and drop
me a note: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>From my new Speaker page you can download my new Global E-Democracy
Trends Power Point slide or grab the outline in Word/RTF:

     http://www.publicus.net/speaker.html

For your convenience I have included a text version of the
presentation outline below.  It highlights the important new
e-democracy trends that I am following.  The slides on my site have
lots of useful web screen shots that help bring the presentation to
life.

Your comments and suggestions always appreciated: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Happy Holidays,
Steven Clift
http://www.publicus.net
Democracies Online Newswire
http://www.e-democracy.org/do

Global E-Democracy Trends Presentation Outline
By Steven Clift, Publicus.Net

Copyright 2002/2003 Steven Clift -
Full PowerPoint slides available from:
http://www.publicus.net

Presentation Outline

o Our current context
o Defining e-democracy
o Usual suspects
o New explorations
o Conclusion
o Further Resources

Our current context

Our current context
o "Is this the end to politics as we know it?"
- Question from a reporter in 1994

o (Internet + Democracy) M
= E-democracy Utopia
- Early concept of "e-democracy"

Our current context
o M = Magic.  Didn't work, did it?

o High expectations have led to easy disappointment

o Blame the .com-munists

Our current context
o New online realism opportunity -reflect and improve

o Innovation based on necessity, not resources

o Implementing "what works"

Our current context
o "E-democracy" strategy and technology tools - finding a better
formula:

        (Goal  * Strategy A) = Outcome X
        (Goal  * Techno  B)  = Outcome Y
        (Goal  * Strategy C) = Outcome Z

        (Outcome X+Y+Z) D = E-democracy

o D = Democratic Intent, Civic Engagement Motivation
o Use strategies/technologies that best to help you achieve a
successful democratic outcome.

Our current context
o E-democracy reality -
A dramatic, reform-oriented, incremental evolution that will
strengthen and improve our communities, nations and world.

o  if we stay the course, and get to work.

Defining e-democracy

Defining e-democracy
o E-democracy is:
-       the use information and communication technologies and
strategies
-       by "democratic sectors"
-       within the political processes of local communities, nations
and on the global stage.
more
Defining e-democracy
o Enabled by the
-       Internet
-       Mobile
-       Other tech
-       E-strategies

o E-democracy is the work of many "democratic sectors"

Defining e-democracy
o E-democracy is now.
o E-democracy promotes active citizen participation at all levels of
democracy
o What is missing?

Defining e-democracy
o "As is" politics may accelerate negative trends in democracy
o E-citizens are the glue, they experience the reality of the whole
situation
o What do they want? Think?

Defining e-democracy
o E-democracy in government seeks to:
-       improve the democratic outcomes of the policy process
-       engage citizens in meeting public challenges

o Involvement for the sake of involvement has limited value.
o E-democracy must make a qualitative difference.

Usual Suspects

Usual Suspects
o Not much new to report

o Elections and Campaigning
o Advocacy
o Government Services
o Information Access

o Difference between politics "of" technology and politics "on" (or
with) technology.

Usual Suspects

o These areas are important, but overemphasis has obscured awareness
of other areas of innovation and development.
o Time for something new, moving beyond "as is" politics online

New Explorations

Sectors - New Explorations

o Representation
o Personalization and Notification
o Decision-Making and Leadership
o Consultation and E-Rulemaking
o Accountability
o Policy Implementation
o Citizen Participation and Online Dialogue

Representation
o Use of ICTs by representative institutions and elected officials
o Balance of power issues important
o Examples
-       Parliaments Online - Iceland, Minnesota,
-       Jan Hamming, Tilberg, The Netherlands
o Must ensure that elected officials have the tools to represent -
break the "services first, democracy later" perspective

Representation
o Iceland - What's now

Representation
o Minnesota House - Real-time access

Representation
o Hamming - Virtual Office

Personalization and Notification

o Information access with user defined notification = dissemination.
o Timely access to politically relevant information is the key
innovation
o Examples
-       City of St. Paul, Minnesota
-       Info4Local.Gov.uk
-       Social Science Information Gateway

Personalization and Notification
o City of St. Paul - E-mail notices

Personalization and Notification
o Personalization and e-mail notification = real service
o www.info4local.gov.uk

Personalization and Notification
o Communication personalization - no e-mail overload here

Personalization and Notification
o Wireless content and convenience

Decision-Making & Leadership
o Cabinet-level strategic communication to assist decision-making
o Countries with advanced systems include Finland, Estonia, and
Croatia.
o Leadership? Japan's PM has two million subscribers on his M-Magazine
e-mail list.

Decision-Making & Leadership
o Japan PM's M-Magazine -  Can you inspire online?

Consultation and E-Rulemaking
o Online consultation is the leading "e-democracy" interest area
within the administrative side of government - particularly in the
Europe, Canada, and Australia.
o E-rulemaking is about to make a splash in the United States.
o Examples
-       UK eDemocracy Consultation
-       Top ten tips - Article with examples

Consultation and E-Rulemaking
o UK eDemocracy consultation

Consultation and E-Rulemaking
o Online consultations

Accountability
o Public accountability ranks first among U.S. citizen priorities for
e-government:
-       36% - Government that is more accountable to its citizens
-       23% - Greater public access to information
-       21% - More efficient and cost-effective government
-       13% - More convenient government services

Source, E-Government the Next American Revolution, September 2002
Accountability
o Have you seen an e-gov application designed to specifically promote
accountability?
-       Helsinki transit SMS example, budget info
o Promoting societal accountability - U.S. campaign finance
o Third party use of government data
o Anti-corruption

Accountability
o US Farm Support Payments Look-up

Accountability
o Seoul Anti-Corruption - OPEN System

Policy Implementation
o Output versus input - moving government from sole provider to a
facilitator of information exchange among diverse stakeholders working
to meet similar public challenges.
o Examples
-       CommunityBuildersNSW
-       OneFish
-       Development Gateway
o Models also have NGO-led potential

Policy Implementation
o Portals, information exchange, events

Policy Implementation
o Information exchange

Citizen Participation
o Citizen participation and online dialogue demonstrate an e-democracy
future that can transform politics.
o Connecting people within democracies from the local level on up,
embracing geography, is a key starting point.
o See Minnesota E-Democracy.
o This is the focus of much of my work, and truly the domain of the
"e-citizen."

Citizen Participation
o Visit http://www.e-democracy.org

Conclusion

Conclusion
o E-democracy has many exciting dimensions that deserve deep
exploration and experimentation.

o Innovative practices in e-democracy are NOT being made widely known.
Therefore, they are NOT spreading rapidly.

o The "services first, democracy later" approach to
e-government is a significant barrier to a balanced and successful
e-government program
                                                                more

Conclusion
o Promoting leading e-democracy strategies across government, NGOs,
and the media and private sector requires investment.

o With democratic intent, information and communications technologies
can be used to meet public challenges and lead to better public
outcomes.

o E-democracy success = when we drop the "e"

Further Information
o Democracies Online Newswire
http://www.e-democracy.org/do
Over 2500 people around the world exchanging announcements, news, and
articles related to e-democracy, e-government, and e-politics.

o E-Democracy Resources Flyer
http://publicus.net/articles/edemresources.html
Links to the top e-democracy starting points on a two page flyer
available in HTML, Word, and PDF.

o Publicus.Net
http://www.publicus.net
More articles and presentations by Steven Clift

*** Past Messages, Discussion http://e-democracy.org/do ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To UNSUBSCRIBE instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***
*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***