*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://e-democracy.org/do ***
***                                                          ***
*** Up to seven posts a week. To join over 2500 subscribers, ***
*** e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in message:  sub do-wire   ***

I have been waiting a long time for a semi-successful "flash" grass
root effort that worked online to coordinated the passage of local
government resolutions/policies across a country.

Check out the Bill of Rights Defense Committee in the U.S.:

        http://www.bordc.org/

While informing people about issues or encouraging them to sign an
online petition is an important part of online advocacy, it doesn't
give most people the sense that they have taken an action or made a
measurable accomplishment.  Going in front of your city council to
try and get them to pass a resolution - you can measure that a lot
more than even press generated from a net-assisted rally.

What is also important, is that the Net supports peer-to-peer
communication among previously unaffiliated like minds going through
similar efforts at the same time.  Except for their e-mail
newsletter, what I can't find are national or local e-mail lists for
activist organizing (although I understand from experience these
types of two-way tools are now place under the radar to protect their
political strategies from overexposure).

News reports:

        http://www.utne.com/webwatch/2002_245/
        http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0248/hentoff.php

Steven Clift
Democracies Online
^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Past Messages, Discussion http://e-democracy.org/do ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To UNSUBSCRIBE instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***
*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***