*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://e-democracy.org/do ***
***                                                          ***
*** Join over 2650 subscribers, from 75 countries on DO-WIRE ***

This month I am serving as a Visiting Fellow <http://publicus.net/fellow> at
the Institute for New Media Studies <http://www.inms.umn.edu> at the University
of Minnesota.  Next week we are hosting two panel sessions - one on the
Internet and our recent elections and another on online advocacy and lobbying
at the state capitol. This event will give you a deep sense of what it is like
to live in a place with a high level of per capita politics online.

Should you fly in from around the world to attend this event?  Certainly. Or if
you don't mind streaming media, we will make the audio and video available for
all a couple weeks after the event.

I am going to prepare a two page handout with links to the top online resources
online campaigning and online advocacy.  I'll share it with the world as well.
Please nominate new and old resources via e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Steven Clift
Democracies Online
P.S. This fellow business is quite exciting. A big thanks goes out to Nora Paul
with the Institute for New Media Studies for making this possible.

*** Free and Open to the Public ***

What:

The Net & Elections and
Online Advocacy in Minnesota
----------------------------
An evening for insight and exploration
with two dynamic expert panels

When:

6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Thursday, February 20, 2003

Where:

Coffman Memorial Union
Campus Club - 4th Floor Conference Rooms A-B-C
University of Minnesota

Sponsored by the Institute for New Media Studies
<http://www.inms.umn.edu> and Minnesota E-Democracy
<http://www.e-democracy.org>.

RSVP requested by Tuesday, February 18, but not required:
E-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or call 612-625-0576

To receive virtual handouts and a notice about the post-event
webcast release, e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Evening Schedule
----------------
See below for full details and a list of our dynamic panelists.

6:30 p.m.  - Reception, including the U.S. premiere of Japanese
television news coverage of e-democracy in Minnesota
7:00 p.m.  - Panel 1 - The Net & Elections in Minnesota
8:00 p.m.  - Panel 2 - Online Advocacy and Lobbying in Minnesota
8:50 p.m.  - Video E-Citizens - Share a comment, lesson, or
your reactions to the panel on video for our global post-event
webcast.

Additional *cash* drinks available in the newly renovated Campus
Club Lounge <http://www1.umn.edu/cclub/tourbar.html> during and
after the event through 10 p.m..

Parking
-------

We recommend that you park in the East River Rd Garage:
See <http://www1.umn.edu/cclub/map.html> or
<http://www1.umn.edu/pts/maps/ebhour.htm> for maps.
Enter from E. River Rd/Pkwy or from just after the Washington
Ave. Bridge traveling east only. Once parked, *Level A* of the
garage is connected by a tunnel to Coffman Memorial Hall.

                           - - - - - - - - -

Full Event Details and Panelists
--------------------------------

* 7:00 p.m. - Opening

- Welcome - Nora Paul, Institute for New Media Studies,
School of Journalism and Mass Communications, University of Minn.

- Introduction - "The Good Online Life in Minnesota - Promoting
High Per Capita Politics Online" - Steven Clift, Visiting
Fellow, Institute for New Media Studies and Chair, Minnesota E-
Democracy

7:10 p.m - The Net & Elections in Minnesota - Panel 1

In 1994, Minnesota E-Democracy created the world's first
election-oriented web site.  In 1998, Governor Jesse Ventura
create a global Internet buzz when he credited the use of the
Internet as crucial to his victory.  In 2002, awareness of
election use of the Internet was eclipsed by our tragic
election season, the post-dotcom hangover, and by the Internet's
integration into our political life.  This panel will expose
important lessons learned and discuss future trends to watch.

David Erickson - Panel Moderator
   - Publisher, MNPolitics.com

Bob Collins
   - Online News Editor, Minnesota Public Radio
Bridget Cronin
   - Former Editor, Minnesota GOP Newsline
JC Quirn
   - Webmaster, Wellstone for Senate
Brian McClung
   - Republican Candidate for Minnesota State House in 2002
Rob Davis
   - Promotion Pawn, BushBoy.com

8:00 p.m. - Panel 2 - Online Advocacy and Lobbying in Minnesota

In 1993, the Minnesota State Legislature opened its "Gopher"
server and soon moved content to the web.  Minnesota's state
legislators, political interest groups, and active citizens got
online early and many have integrated the Internet deep into
their political activities.  A decade later in 2003, with a wired
state capitol, connected interest groups, and about 70% of
Minnesotans online, how will the high stakes surrounding our $4.5
billion dollar two year budget gap manifest itself through online
advocacy and lobbying?

Linda Jean Kensicki - Panel Moderator
   - Asst. Professor, School of Journalism and Mass
     Communication, University of Minnesota

Robbie LaFluer
   - Director, Minnesota Legislative Reference Library
Marcia Avner
   - Public Policy Director, Minnesota Council of Non-Profits
   - Author, Lobbying and Advocacy Handbook for Nonprofit Orgs.
David Strom
   - Legislative Director, Taxpayers League
Brian Elliot
   - Political Coordinator, Clean Water Action Alliance
Christine Nelson
   - Former Director of Citizen Outreach, Governor Ventura's
     Office

Note: Panelists will present their diverse perspectives for up to
five minutes followed by questions.   The panels will be recorded
for global webcasting at a later date. To be notified when the
post-event webcast is available online, e-mail
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Post-Event ~8:50 p.m. - Video E-Citizens

Share a comment or your reaction to the panels on video as
part of our global post-event webcast. After the official event
you can stick around and share your two cents.  One minute
statements sharing your perspective and specific stories will be
a featured section on our post-event website.  Help Minnesota
tell its politics online story to the world.

Until 10:00 p.m. - Extended P2P Interactivity

The Campus Club Lounge, overlooking the Mississippi River is open
until 10:00 p.m..  Non-club members may purchase drinks on a cash-
only basis.

Reminder - Please RSVP

Steven Clift
[EMAIL PROTECTED]