From: Dennis Hamilton
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 11:27
To: 'doc@openoffice.apache.org' <doc@openoffice.apache.org>
Subject: Using GitHub as a platform for creating documentation and publications

Something that might be helpful to consider is the fact that Microsoft is
moving all of its on-line developer documentation (that is, for developers and
IT administrators as users) to GitHub: <https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs>.
This is a gigantic project.

Although MicrosoftDocs usage is specific to Microsoft and there seems to be
some custom tooling, there is also some attention to on-ramping:
<https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/microsoft-365-community/wiki/Getting-Started>.
  (This takes advantage of GitHub having wikis available for every project.)

Note that the MicrosoftDocs customized use of GitHub is for production of
on-line documentation.  I am not urging their model, just pointing that there
may be information that is adaptable for Apache/openoffice-docs on GitHub.

I have been thinking of Document Engineering as a methodology around production
of digital publications, web content, etc.  I've started a project on that
subject at <https://github.com/orcmid/docEng>.  This will focus on
writing-in-the-open on collaborative document-engineering with GitHub as the
platform.  This is completely separate from the openoffice-docs efforts and I
will say no more about it here.  It is not about producing AOO docs, but some
of the tutorial materials may be helpful to those who want to author, edit, or
review openoffice-docs contributions.

 - Dennis

[orcmid] [ ... ]