Is there a way to disable table/figure numbering entirely? I have a document with chapter/section autonumbering turned off, but tables still are numbered in the TOC with the table/figure-within-chapter number. Can I disable this?

Rationale: This is for an online document. References are hyperlinked and titles of things referred to don't strictly need any numbering because the link is sufficient to take you to the referred-to item.

I realize there may be arguments against turning off numbering. I am trying to see how far this can be taken.

Thanks.