On 05/20/2010 11:54 AM, Sina K. Heshmati wrote:
"Denis Bradford"<denis.bradf...@verizon.net>  said:

I realize this is not a trivial thing. Besides the layout, there doesn't
appear to be much difference between the DocBook and Website (full)
documents -- mostly a few elements at the top. But the big difference is
in the processing, and that would no doubt require a lot of work to bridge.

The benefits just might be worth the effort. Making Website a DocBook
output option, instead of a separate dialect, would increase its value
for technical documentation -- a low-tech, frameless alternative to
Eclipse infocenters and HTML-based help browsers.
Some of these features are indeed useful for both DocBook HTML output and
DocBook Website but please note the fundamental distinction between DocBook and
DocBook Website. DocBook helps format documents and publish them anywhere,
including the Web whereas DocBook Website helps publish *websites* on the Web
and only on the Web.

I think things aren't quite as clear-cut as that: As an interesting use-case, consider Sphinx (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/), which started out as a "documentation tool". It is based on ReST (with its existing formatters), but adds superstructure to it.
There, generating a "website" proper is just a side-product (or almost).

Taking this to DocBook, I think it would be nice if DB Website content could be published into an inter-connected set of (pdf) articles or somesuch. (Since the stylesheets for individual page content already exists, I imagine that the only new bits required would be templates that use the website structure information ("layout" or similar), and generate appropriate inter-document links from that, as well as other toplevel things such as an index, TOC, etc.)

But, that's just an idea, and may not fit into this GSoC project. Still, it's worthwhile thinking of this for some future work.

Thanks,
        Stefan