Oh, right you are Tom! It didn't work for me as well - to top it off, I sent
you the wrong section of my xsl.

This section will do what you want - but you will need to use

This section also does a bit more with alignment in other places as well.

  <!-- Alignment for Equation Titles that use imagedata and MathML-->
    <xsl:attribute-set name="formal.title.properties"
        use-attribute-sets="normal.para.spacing">
        <xsl:attribute name="text-align">
      <xsl:choose>
        <xsl:when test="self::equation and descendant::imagedata/@align">
          <xsl:value-of select="descendant::imagedata/@align" />
        </xsl:when>
        <xsl:when test="self::equati...@align] and descendant::title">
          <xsl:value-of select="@align" />
        </xsl:when>
        <!--  Also align figure titles -->
        <xsl:when test="self::figu...@align] and descendant::title">
          <xsl:value-of select="@align" />
        </xsl:when>
        <!--  Also align table titles -->
        <xsl:when test="self::tab...@align] and descendant::title">
          <xsl:value-of select="@align" />
        </xsl:when>
        <xsl:otherwise>start</xsl:otherwise> <!-- default value for alignment-->
      </xsl:choose>
    </xsl:attribute>
    </xsl:attribute-set>

Cheers
Dean Nelson

In a message dated 11/08/10 16:16:45 Pacific Standard Time,
tom.brow...@gmail.com writes:
On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 17:57, deannelson <deannel...@aol.com> wrote:
> Tom,
> I have had this issue as well. Here is how I solved it.
>

>     <!-- center table titles -->
>     <xsl:attribute-set name="formal.title.properties">
>         <xsl:attribute name="text-align">
>             <xsl:choose>
>                 <xsl:when test="self::table">center</xsl:when>
>                 <xsl:otherwise>left</xsl:otherwise>
>             </xsl:choose>
>         </xsl:attribute>
>     </xsl:attribute-set>

But Dean, that's right out of the book as near as I can see.  Unless
I'm missing something, that doesn't work for me.  What tools are you
using?  I'm using xsltproc and Apache fop.

Regards,

-Tom

Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
Niceville, Florida