Hi Jeff,
My book has a little bit of information on getting started with DocBook5:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/rng/5.0/

The DocBook 5 schemas can be located starting at docbook.org under the Schemas
tab.  That links to the OASIS site with the RNG schemas.

Regarding the stylesheets, yes, that is the correct url on SourceForge.

For validation, you can start with:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ProcesingDb5.html#Db5Validation

Several XML editors also validate RelaxNG, including Oxygen and XMLMInd among
others.

Gotchas?  The main one is to remember to add the namespace prefix to all
element names in your stylesheet customization. Until you get in the habit of
doing that, it is probably the most frequent error, and it does not generate an
error message (it just doesn't work).

As was stated earlier, 5.1 is still under development, and so can change before
being finalized. If you want stability, go with 5.0.  But 5.1 has the assembly
stuff, which is the new way of building documents from modular files.  That's
bleeding edge, though.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
b...@sagehill.net