(Probably, the discussion I proposed in this post seems too scholastic, but
it is still close related to DocBook tools and, as I hope, will be able to
discover some serious problems.)

1. DocBook XML V5.0 was released two and a half years ago.

"Schemas for DocBook 5.0 are available in several formats, but only RELAX
> NG schema is normative and thus preferred. Other schemas are not fully
> RELAX NG compatible and provided as a convenience for using with legacy
> tools." [Norman Walsh, DocBook 5: The Definitive Guide]

2.  DocBook XSLT Stylesheets 1.77.0 was released two weeks ago.

Download statistics (http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook/files/):
================
docbook-xsl-ns (RELAX NG) -  30 696 downloads (8.5%)
docbook-xsl (DTD)               - 329 401 downloads (91.5%)
Total:                                  - 360 097 downloads (100%)

Only 8.5% of users have transited to RELAX NG, the rest are still stuck to
"old-fashioned" DTD. Not too brilliant result for 2.5 years, is it?

Why? *What prevents transition to the new functionality of DocBook 5?* Any
idea?

--
Regards,
Ivan Zaporozhets