Your manual toc doesn't sound much like a TOC. Isn't it really just a set
of cross-references or links that you can put in an itemized list or some
other structure. If it doesn't express the contents of its container, how
is it a table of contents?

If that doesn't make sense to you, then show us what your manual TOC looks
like exactly, so we can comment further. I don't understand why you'd want
to use a <toc> element for this manual stuff.
--Aaron

--
Aaron DaMommio: Husband, father, writer, juggler, and expert washer of