Thanks for the link:
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/html/index.links.to.section.html

Changing the parameter to 0 links the <indexentry/> directly to the
appropriate point in the text.
Can the generated index linked be changed to reflect the paragraph/line
number, or something other than the chapter/section title.
Locators like those in pdfs generated via FO are ideal.
I am aware that the index.prefer.titleabbrev can also be set to 1, or the
default 0, but this is not desire-able in the documents at hand.