Hi Camille,

On 15 Nov 2013, at 10:24, Camille Bégnis <cami...@neodoc.biz> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am facing the infamous error:
> "A table-cell is spanning more rows than available in its parent element."
> When trying to convert DocBook to PDF using FOP.
> It is a big document with many tables, and looking for the culprit is
> tedious.

That would make it an illegal CALS table - according to the OASIS CALS specs.

> Has anyone faced this issue, and found a way to detect the issue?
> A "simple" XPath would do I guess?

I've created some schematron and done a blog post on CALS validity:

http://code.google.com/p/cals-table-schematron/
http://blogs.deltaxml.com/2013/08/08/cals-table-validity/

(I do have an update I want to get some time to work on - I want to try out
David Carlisle's suggestion to address the phases/progressive-validation issue
- which is more of a schematron issue)

Cheers,

Nigel

--
Nigel Whitaker, Software Architect, DeltaXML Ltd. "Experts in information
change"