Hello,

I am trying to resolve/replace the ENTITYs in my Docbook files without
removing the DOCTYPE declaration. I tried using XMLLINT:

    xmllint --noent --dropdtd -o outfile.xml  infile.xml

but this removed the DOCTYPE line along with resolving the ENTITYs. So  if
I don't use the --dropdtd then I get all of the ENTITYs brought in by the
ENTITY line in the DOCTYPE.

Here is the snippet of XML that I start with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE chapter PUBLIC  "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.5//EN"
"http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd";[
<!ENTITY  % my-defs SYSTEM "my-defs.mod">         %my-defs;
]>
<chapter  id="introduction-and-overview">
<title>Introduction and  Overview</title>
<section>
<title>Introduction</title>
<para>
&CORP_NAME;  Veneer Testers are high-speed, production-line
testing  machines for precision grading of wood veneer.  The
different models of &CORP_NAME; Veneer Testers  measure
different properties (or combinations of  properties) of
veneer in order to grade it.
  </para>

Here is what I am getting now with the --dropdtd

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<chapter  id="introduction-and-overview">
<title>Introduction and  Overview</title>
<section>
<title>Introduction</title>
<para>
Metriguard  Veneer Testers are high-speed, production-line
testing  machines for precision grading of wood veneer.  The
different models of Metriguard Veneer Testers  measure
different properties (or combinations of  properties) of
veneer in order to grade  it.
</para>

Here is what I want:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE chapter PUBLIC  "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.5//EN"
"http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd";[
<!ENTITY  % my-defs SYSTEM "my-defs.mod">         %my-defs;
]>
<chapter  id="introduction-and-overview">
<title>Introduction and  Overview</title>
<section>
<title>Introduction</title>
<para>
Metriguard  Veneer Testers are high-speed, production-line
testing  machines for precision grading of wood veneer.  The
different models of Metriguard Veneer Testers  measure
different properties (or combinations of  properties) of
veneer in order to grade  it.
</para>

My question is has anyone dealt with this before? and how?

Regards,
Dean Nelson