Hi Frank,
Yes, this is a bug. It also applies to caption as a child of example or informalexample, all of which are permitted by DocBook 5.0.

This is a pretty big omission, and I have another issue, so I'll probably roll the stylesheet from 1.79.1 to 1.79.2 to fix them.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
b...@sagehill.net