I forgot to mention that Eliot pointed me to a new package of i18n support that he created for DITA and it is packaged for the DITA-OT, but it can be adapted for use outside of DITA. It is written for Saxon 9, however.  It is available on GitHub at:

https://github.com/dita-community/org.dita-community.i18n

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
b...@sagehill.net