Jirka Kosek <ji...@kosek.cz> wrote:

> On 07.02.2023 9:53, Norm Tovey-Walsh wrote:
> > *Blink*. Really? I would not have expected language fixup to do that,
> > but maybe it does. So xml:lang="" is equivalent to $default-language,
> > I suppose.
>
> Well, I don't know if this is what XInclude spec says but IIRC there were
> some XInclude processors that did that.

As I understand the XML specification, the meaning of an empty "xml:lang"
attribute is defined as overriding any language inherited from the parent
element and reverting to the processor default. So it might make sense that if
no language is indicated in an included file, it is taken as unspecified and
explicitly marked as such in the larger context where it's included.

https://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/#sec-lang-tag

Rob Cavicchio
rcavi...@opentext.com