In my code I currently have an active record implementation of a Staff
object.  Namely, that object self-populates at creation time, and
self-reloads when required.

class Staff
{
    private $id;
    private $name;
    private $email;

    //all the getters and setters
}

I changed the code where I pulled out database code out of it to where it
now populates from the outside.  One of the next steps I can take is make
this object into a Doctrine Entity, which is a fairly-well understood
concept to me (I have existing entities in my code)
Before going that route, I thought .. what if I make it into an immutable
value object.  Will it benefit me?

And that is my question here.  Staff is used as part of a session and
typically does not need to be mutable.
As part of making it a value object I can *remove all the setters* and *move
all initialization and object-loading code into the constructor*.

This is where I'm struggling ...  If I do this

   - can I still use the object with Doctrine?
   - Is doing this a good idea?