I was going to post a bug report, but I think this s already covered
here.

Regarding the page

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/postfix.html

The dovecot configuration is not clear at all.  It asks you to comment
lines that no longer exist.  You are likewise asked to add lines to
sections that no longer exist.  It looks like the config format for
dovecot has changed radically since this document was written.  I'd
consider updating the document myself if I knew how to set up dovecot.

Documentation Packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-docs in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/785389

Title:
  Bug in dovecot-postfix configuration documentation

Status in Ubuntu Server Guide:
  New
Status in “ubuntu-docs” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: ubuntu-docs

  If you install dovecot-postfix, you don't have to change anything in
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf to make authentication working.  If you do the
modifications to the client-section, dovecot even doesn't restart anymore.
  I think that part should be removed from
https://help.ubuntu.com/13.04/serverguide/postfix.html