On 6/22/2011 2:45 AM, Nino Novak wrote:
Hi John,

On Tuesday, 21. June 2011 22:49:31 John Cleland wrote:

When checking the PDF version of the Calc guide I found it hard,
compared to html to move around the document.  I would like to
propose that an HTML version is produced.  I would be happy to
undertake the work.

I am not sure what open source html producers/editors are available,
but will do some research into what is available.

Does anyone else think this is a good/bad idea.
It's definitely a good idea.

An ODT uses XML, (just like e.g. DocBook) so direct HTML conversion
should be possible with just a DTD, shouldn't it?

Did you try the genuine (X)HTML Export (File>  Export)?

AFAIK there are several ODF-to-HTML tools available, e.g. this one
http://opendocumentfellowship.com/projects/odftools

I think, the HTML question is not about "finding the better/best format"
but it's more about "offering an additional format", as Jean said.

So in my eyes we would be fine offering a couple of (addtional) HTML
formates (whole book and chapter wise?) for the User Guides like many of
the Linux docs have done for years. My guess is, that the ODT should
serve as Master and the HTML should be just one possible output format.

Nino

A DTD (say, a DocBook 4.5 DTD--the last normative version, 03 Oct 2006) only deals with document structure--not formatting a document. So, you would have to employ something else for formatting purposes, much like CSS formats XHTML code.

In the (XML) structured world using Adobe FrameMaker, you could run FrameMaker in its structured mode using a DTD file for the XML structure and an EDD file (that a template designer must create) for formatting purposes. The EDD file would typically be imported into an FrameMaker FM file template after it had been previously structured via a DTD file, the end result is a template file that an author could then utilize for authoring purposes, utilizing whatever formatting the EDD file was programmed to provide. Not an easy task--the creation of a formatting EDD.

OOo really never did much with its so-called DocBook XML. In fact, what little it had was for the DocBook version 4.1.2, which dates back to 18 Dec 2003.

BTW, I have created EDDs based upon DocBook 4.5 and DocBook 5.x, which were generated by FrameMaker from the DocBook DTDs. Generation of formatted DocBook-XML templates for documentation-authoring purposes is typically a job for an expert, so doing documentation with DocBook is definitely not for beginners. If anybody would care for some advice using FrameMaker's DocBook 4.5 or 5.x, I could give it.

There are other software applications that could be used. Sagehill has some documentation along those lines: http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/

Gary.

Gary Schnabl
Southwest Detroit, two miles NORTH! of Canada--Windsor, that is...

Technical Editor forum <http://TechnicalEditor.LivernoisYard.com/phpBB3/>