From: Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
To: "documentation@global.libreoffice.org"
<documentation@global.libreoffice.org>
Sent: Tue, 26 July, 2011 9:37:06
Subject: [libreoffice-documentation] Re: Proposed Revision of Writer Guide

On Tuesday, July 26, 2011, David Nelson <li...@traduction.biz> wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> No reason why it can't be packaged as one volume containing two parts, or
as
>> two separate volumes... User's choice how they prefer to get it.
>
> Maybe if it was one volume it would be OK, but I'm not attracted to
> the idea of multiplying the number of documentation items we're
> supposed to support, except where they cover different/new subjects.
> It seems simpler to me as a documentation user and to me as a team
> member to have all the info in one work.

We already provide the docs as individual chapters as well as compiled
books.

> Anyway, this is just my own initial reaction. Perhaps after reading
> your proposals in greater detail on the wiki, I'd see better what the
> advantages would be.
>
> But one other point I'd raise is that maybe it would be more
> profitable to fill one of the existing documentation holes rather than
> revamping material we already have and that does the job as is?

If we can find people who can and will fill the gaps, I agree that would be
a very good thing to do. In fact, my proposal does include filling some
gaps... which can be done even if reorganization does not occur.

One problem I've seen over the years is the lack of people willing and able
to write new material, especially on more difficult or complex topics. The
Base Guide is a major example. Some volunteers may feel more comfortable
revamping existing material than writing new material, and I would encourage
them to do whatever suits their interest and skill level.

Jean