Most of the screenshots are in the silver theme. Only a subset are
something else. IMO at this point the best way forward for 3.4 is to
update using that theme when updated pix are needed. 3.4.2 is out and
live; let's get the updates done ASAP, so we're not still mucking around
with them when the next release hits us.

At the same time we can consider what to do for a later (major) release,
which is IMO a better time to be changing the "look" in any major way.

More comments below.

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 15:51 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:

> For screen-shots the vast majority of the docs team back then decided to try
> be consistent but a couple of us quite liked the idea of using a variety of
> themes.  It would look messy and 'unprofessional' unless done in a structured
> artistic way (very time consuming) and anyway the rest of the team was
> against
> the idea.  The decision to be consistent wasn't agreed by consensus but was a
> vast majority which is cool :)

I don't know who else "quite liked the idea of using a variety of
themes". *I* certainly didn't; I jokingly said it might have its merits,
but the only reason I've supported not spending the time to deliberately
change all the pix to a common theme is pragmatic: lack of time and
people to do it, for no real advantage to users.

> We settled on one theme but then Jean found an even better one that looked
> almost identical on all distros and even in Windows for the odd screen-shots
> needed there.  So the switch to the "Ubuntu XP-Silver" theme made sense.

You have your timeline a bit mixed up. The silver theme was the original
theme used in the OOo docs (with a few odd pix taken by other people,
either on Windows or on Linux using a variety of other themes) and was
not changed during the initial rebranding to LibO. The suggestion to use
a different theme came while I was offline for several days, but by then
several people had already started redoing Windows pix using one of the
Ubuntu themes that didn't reproduce well in grayscale, so I nagged about
it.

> Should we discuss this again and perhaps select different theme(s) for 3.4 or
> can we keep going with what was agreed for 3.3.x?

As mentioned at the top of this note, let's stick with what we're doing
for now.

>  I'm happy either way but i
> had to fight hard in steering-discuss for the documentation team's decision
> evenUbuntu
> tho i had originally been against it.  David had a similar experience in the
> Branding lists & then steering-discuss too.

I'm very glad you two did that. Thanks!

> However, if the team wants to make the 3.4.x series documentation
> deliberately
> different from the 3.3.x then a few suggestions about now would be great.

Please team, NO! Discuss for a future release, but NOT for this one.

> I have a really bad feeling that i might have "beaten people into
> submission",
> or forced them into doing something they hate.  So i would really appreciate
> feedback from other members of the team even if that confirms my fears.

At the moment we're on the track that I recommended all along, so no
complaints from me. ;-)