Apologies again to Gabriel for not paying enough attention to his
report on the missing icon set and thus not looking at his picture
before replying. I'm now fairly sure that others have reported the
problem, but I didn't realise what they were talking about.

In penance, I have worked out how to solve this problem and get us all
able to use the same icon set. It appears to be a simple solution:
download LO from the LO website and install and use that when writing
documentation.

This is what I did. I have two machines with "clean" Ubuntu 11.10
installs on them, which includes LO 3.4.3. Those copies of LO show
only the Human icon sets, just as in Gabriel's picture.

I then downloaded and installed LO 3.4.4 from the LO website. When I
open that, all the various icon sets are listed in Tools > Options >
LO > View, as I described in a previous note.

Repeating: When writing documentation, be sure you install LO from the
file available on the LO website. The instructions I've written
elsewhere mention this, for other reasons; I hadn't realised (or had
forgotten) that the icon sets are yet another reason to NOT use the
file provided by a Linux distro when writing docs. It's fine for
general use, but it does have a few differences that make it
unsuitable for general documentation purposes.

Of course, this means that some Linux users will see different icons;
but if we use Ubuntu's icon set, then everyone else is going to see
different icons. So we'll do the only reasonable thing, which is to
document the official LO version, not Ubuntu's version of LO.

This also reminds me that I need to add some words in each chapter
file to advise people that the icons they see may not be what's in the
book. I shall do so, and put it in the template.