From: Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Base Guide
To: documentation@global.libreoffice.org
Date: Thursday, 12 January, 2012, 4:13

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 13:47, Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-01-12 at 11:56 +1000, Jean Weber wrote:

>> >     Then again the drafts can be clearly marked as drafts using a
>> > watermark? Just a thought.
>> >     Then again, chapters 2-4 are written for OOo and need some
>> > modifications before they will be ready for LO "use".
>> >     I going to think about this during the evening and annouce what I
>> > will be doing in the "morning" (by 1400 UTC).
>> >
>> > --Dan
>> >

>> Yes, and I'm thinking that this would be a very good thing to do. Put it in
>> the header or footer, not as a "watermark" as such, much as I did for the
>> "Free eBook Edition" notice on some of the OOo PDFs. That way it's obvious
>> but doesn't interfere with the text, and it's quick and easy to remove when
>> we declare the document "final".
>>
>> Jean
>
>     Here is what I have done: I have made two graphics containing the
> word "Draft". I made the larger graphic the background for the Chapter
> page which shows Draft 2 cm in height at the bottom of the page.
> (Selected position instead of Tiled or Area, and then selected the
> bottom center position.) I made the smaller graphic the background for
> the OOoFooter adding tab spaces in the footer to increase the number of
> lines so that the word Draft appears in the center of all the footers. I
> the created a header and modified it in a similar way. So, every page of
> the text had the word Draft at the top and bottom.
>    To undo all of this takes only a few steps.
> 1) Remove the background for the title page (OOoFirst Page).
> 2) Remove the background for the footer style (OOoFooter).
> 3) Remove the extra tab spaces so that the footer contains only one
> line.
> 4) Remove the header in the OOoPage style.
>
>     One more question: where should these draft chapter be placed so
> they will be available without having to have sign into ODFAuthor?
>
> --Dan

People do not have to sign into ODFAuthors to *download* docs, IF
those docs have a State of "Externally visible" (probably the folder
hierarchy needs to be "Externally visible" too). They only need to
sign in to upload docs, or to see items with other States.

That said, it might be preferable to put them on the LO wiki, though
I'm not sure what might be the best page to put them on. Some thoughts
follow.

For the Base Guide, it would be easy enough (and, I think, clear
enough) to put them on
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications (as Tom
suggested), but change the chapter names in the LibreOffice Base Guide
section to read, for example, "2 Name of Chapter -- DRAFT" (and
include only the ODT?).

The GS with Base chapter is a bit messier, since v3.4 goes into a
second column for that book, and so DRAFT would need to go into that
column... which doesn't fit the layout as well. Minor detail! And I
like the idea of putting some of the other developed, but not
"finished", chapters there as well.