Hi Lindsay,
nice to have you here.

Two things:
1. The coordination for the German-speaking part of documentation is done on the German ml: disc...@de.libreoffice.org. So let me invite you to follow there for German documentation if you want to do so. We started there to produce some Howtos and to translate the international guides.

2. There are many different documents to proofreading and reviewing here for international documentation. Even some translations for German books like the BASE Handbuch should be done (I don't know the exact status of this). But I think Jean as our documentation lead can do some explanations.

Have a first look at [1], [2] and subpages.

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
[2] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/de

If you are interested in some deeper work ask for an account on www.odfauthors.org .

If you have question ask here or on the German ml.

--
Grüße
k-j