Bruce,
Welcome. Translating FAQs is a perfect job for someone with only
limited blocks of time available. Slow work completion is much less
critical than when trying to put together a user guide. So I encourage
you to just dive in and do what you can, when you can. If you let us
know what you're working on, others won't accidentally duplicate your
work. One easy way to do that is to create a link from the Calc FAQ
page to a not-yet-translated question; that way it shows up in red and
people know it's being done.

BTW, many team members are in the UK and Europe; I am in Australia.
Also BTW, quite a few of us are retired.

--Jean