On 18-04-2020 14:53, Robert Großkopf wrote:
Hi Rob,
For example at the top on page 14 of "Introduction to Base (6.2)"
chapter it says "The field names forename (first name), surname (last
name), and birthday are likely to be clear. In addition, a field called
ID was added. This field will later take a value which is unique for
each record. A unique key field is necessary for the embedded database.
Otherwise, no records can be entered in the table. This key field is
called the /primary key/ in databases."

The sentence "A unique key field is necessary for the embedded database"
is imho not correct. a table has an unique key (primary key), not
databases.
The database HSQLDB requires this primary key for every tabe - if you
will work with the table in GUI.

You are correct Robert, but the text is saying that a primary key is attached to a database (at least that is how I'm reading it) , but a primary key is attached to a table!

Also the primary key is used on tables in all sorts of
databases. It is not only valid for Embedded databases.
This is wrong. Have a look at DBase, MySQL or, very simple, have a look
at HSQLDB without using the GUI. You could create tables in this
database without using a primary key and you could also add values to
this tables. The wizard works with this feature.

The text is: "A unique key field is necessary for the embedded database" You can better add to the text that Base requires a primary key for tables in embedded databases...

Suppose someone without database knowledge reads this text and he or she will think that external databases do not use primary keys at all, because in the text the emphasis is on Embedded databases.

There for you have to mention that in general database usage a primary key can be used (is advised) but not necessary....

BTW. Thank you for writing the guide(s), great job, I'm a fan!! I got a lot information out of it and also from the early versions like importing info from PDF files for example.... I'm planning to translate those samples as well, because it shows us what is possible with Base with some little programming!

Thanks!

Rob

Regards

Robert