Hi Rob,

I recommend you read the following chapter of the Contributor's Guide:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/DocumentationTeamInfo/UsingGuideTemplate

Also, there are some instructions in the template file that are very useful.

If you'd like to check out the Documentation Team Wiki page, here's the
link:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

Cheers,

Rafael Lima