Anders Logg wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:46:09PM -0600, Bartosz Sawicki wrote:
>> Kent Andre wrote:

>>> It is not possible to store the boundary indicators in Dolfin format
>>> using Netgen, at  the current time. I wrote the Netgen -> dolfin filter
>>> in Netgen so I should know :).
>>>
>>> But it should be possible to include support for that in a similar
>>> fashion as we did in VMTK.
>> You are right that Netgen doesn't support Dolfin XML mesh format. But it
>> doesn't mean that is not possible to use boundary indicators generated
>> by Netgen in Dolfin. Converterting via Diffpack grid file preserves
>> boundaries.
>>
>> The algoritm is simple:
>> 1. Generate mesh using Netgen.
>> 2. Mark boundaries indicators.
>> 3. Export to Diffpack format.
>> 4. Convert Diffpack to XML.
>> 5. Enjoy boundary indicators in Dolfin.
>>
>> cheers,
>
> Nice, but not optimal. At some point, we need an application that can
> do all of these (and more). There seem to be a couple of different
>
>   1. Extend Netgen with full support for DOLFIN (and change the toolkit...)
>   2. Extend Gmsh with full support for DOLFIN (and change the toolkit...)
>   3. Extend MeshBuilder to do mesh generation (using for example Netgen)
>   4. ?
>
> Any thoughts on these options?

Developing modeler with nice GUI and good mesher inside is huge amount
of work. It would be nice to have all-in-one, but I'm afraid we don't
have enough human-power.

> The problem with (3) is that no one is really developing MeshBuilder,
> except when we pay Kalkulo (http://simula.no/applications/kalkulo/) to
> do it.

I've just compiled MeshBuilder. Are there any modeler features? I could
only display meshes, mark some entities, and save meshfunctions.

The main problem that I see, is modeler functionality. All we need is
simple and powerful modeler with nice GUI (maybe similar to Google
SketchUp). Easy to say, but hard to do. I don't know any nice opensource
modeler.

For today, I think, all we can afford is direct converter from Netgen,
or DOLFIN export implementation in Netgen.

cheers,