>> GMP.

>> The problem is that in the reaction demo a number of real variables are
>> declared in main before the ode object is created.The precision of these
>> variables are incorrect since GMP hasn't been initialized at that time.
>> We need to initialize precision in GMP by calling mpf_set_default_prec()
>> before the first real is declared. We now do this in the constructor of
>> class GMPObject which ODE inherits.
>> The only way (I can think of) ensure absolutely, is to wrap class real
>> and
>> check in the constructor, but I guess the overhead by checking this
>> every
>> time a real is declared is unacceptable.
>> Another suggestion is to do the initalization in a function
>> dolfin::set_precision(uint prec) and force the user to call this
>> function.
>> We can check that this has been done when an ode object is created and
>> otherwise give an error message. The documentation and error message
>> must
>> state clearly  that this must be done _before_ creating any real
>> variables. The bad thing with such a solution is that the same user code
>> will not run both with and without GMP enabled, since we force the user
>> call set_precision, which doesn't make sense when running with the
>> normal
>> (double) precision.
>> Anders has suggested making this a parameter "floating-point precision"
>> in
>> Dolfin, but I can't see what should then trigger the call to
>> mpf_set_default_prec() before any reals are declared.
>
> Having a function named set_precision() sounds like the best solution.
>
> We can let this function return a warning instead of an error if GMP
> is not available. Then the demo would run both with and without GMP.
> I imaging that set_precision() will only be used in one or two ODE
> demos so it should be ok.
>
> Would that work?

That will work. I don't think the demos should give warnings when run
without GMP, but maybe we should write a demo demonstrating this
functionality (ie. solving some equation with a known exact solution to
see that the precision actually exceeds hardware precision).

Anders: I can have this ready in no time, but maybe we should wait to
after you're back from vacation. Or is there a release coming up?

Benjamin