Johan Hake wrote:
> On Sunday 27 September 2009 19:49:09 Garth N. Wells wrote:
>> Where's the appropriate place in the build system to test for the
>> version number of external libraries? Is it in dolfin/SConscript (using
>>   the simula-scons function 'checkVersion')?
>
> I do not think we have any defined sections in SConstruct/SConscript where
> this should be done. We have used checkVersion to check for the swig version
> some years ago... It is still there as out-commented code in the SConscript
> file.
>
> I think the function just compare a version string with another handed
> version
> string, where the numbers are delimited by '.'.
>
> Aren't there any version checks done in the pkg-config generator files?

No, but I guess that's not the place to do it since they are unrelated
to DOLFIN and just produce a foo.pc file.

I guest the right way is to use 'pkg-config --version foo.pc' rather
than checkVersion. Still, I don't know where this check is best performed.

My motivation for this is to require PETSc >= 3 so the that PETsc
wrappers can cleaned up.

Garth