On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 03:34:06PM -0400, mspieg wrote:
> Hi All,
>   I'm trying to update a working 0.9.3 code to  0.9.4, and I need to
> understand
> the new interfaces for Function::eval a bit better.
>
> I had things working fine with the old interface
>
> Function::eval (double *values, const double *x, const ufc::cell &ufc_cell,
> uint cell_index)
>
> and am trying to understand how to efficiently use
>
> Function::eval (double *values, const double *x, const Cell &dolfin_cell,
> const
> ufc::cell &ufc_cell)
>
> (My codes need to do a large number of evals at arbitrary points and cells
> efficiently)
>
> among other things, is there an easy way to update the index of a cell,
> without
> constructing a new Cell every time? (or shouldn't I be worrying about this).

Constructing a cell should not cost that much. It just stores the
index, the dimension and a reference to the mesh.

If you are using iterators over a mesh, then you already have the cell
by dereferencing the pointer. The typical usage would be

UFCCell ufc_cell(mesh);
for (CellIterator cell(mesh); !mesh.end(); ++cell)
{
  ufc_cell.update(*cell);

  f.eval(values, x, *cell, ufc_cell);
}

But perhaps you don't use iterators?

> Anyway, I need to play with things a bit more, but looking at the source code
> for eval,  I was also wondering
>  if lines 320 and 321 are required as line 322 doesn't seem to require cell.
>
>  typo? bug? or general ignorance on my part (probably the latter).

Yes, lines 320-321 should be removed. Thanks for noticing. I've fixed
this now.

--
Anders