On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 06:46:49PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> Hans Petter Langtangen wrote:
> > I think users will find it strange that a Constant and Expression must
> > be associated with a mesh. Why not allow
> >
> > g = Constant(6.0)
> > f = Expression('sin(x[0])')
> >
> > For quadrature one only needs to evaluate a Constant or Expression so
> > I don't see any need for a mesh or space if there are other components
> > in the form that have a space or mesh to be used for integration.
>
> We need to re-assess the design around Constant/Expression/Function.
> We've lost our way a little with the re-designs around the function
> classes.

Yes. Let's try hard to get it right this time. The new Function class
design (as of 0.9.4) is a step in the right direction. We just need to
figure out the right way to handle expressions/user-defined
coefficients.

> A first step is to clean up some  issues on the C++ side (like
> why we need the geometric dimension)  which will trickle down to the
> Python side. The following step would be to address some of the
> Python-specific issues.
>
> Now that we have Expression, perhaps we should get rid of Constant since
>
>    g = Constant(6.0)
>    h = Expression('6.0')
>
> serve essentially the same purpose (a small difference, at least on the
> C++ side, is that a Constant can be treated as a double, e.g. it can be
> incremented).

In Python, it would be fairly easy (for Johan Hake) to have just one
class named Expression that handled constant values like

  k = Expression(0.1)

or

  dt = 0.1
  k = Expression(dt)

We could let Expression handle both strings and floats, but I believe
it makes for a cleaner design to have two classes. Mixing classes that
do different things have gotten us into trouble before (like the old
Function class).

The important difference between

  k = Constant(0.1)

and

  k = Expression(0.1)

is that the first allows the JIT compiler to reuse old code when for
example changing the size of a time step. The second does not since
Expression(0.1) and Expression(0.05) will generate different code.

> For an Expression, we may be able to default to a QuadratureFunction to
> avoid providing the mesh/function space at initialisation. The possible
> issue at present is that UFL may insist on the order of the
> QuadratureFunction being known, but this could be changed in UFL.

Yes, we could even let it default to None or "auto". Nothing in the
abstract handling of an UFL expression should require knowledge of the
number of quadrature points.

> > (The mesh determines the no of space dimensions and the length of the
> > x argument when an Expression is evaluated.)
> >
> > For non-quadrature approaches, f must be interpolated onto a space
> > and an error message could tell the user to explicitly do so.
> >
> > In case one does
> >
> > M = f*dx  # or g*dx
> > assemble(M)
> >
> > the form or assemble lacks a mesh to do the integration and then an
> > error message can be issued, telling the user to insert a mesh or
> > space argument in assemble (I think this is more logical than
> > attaching a mesh or space to f). I would guess that one needs a space
> > and not only a mesh since it's otherwise hard to figure out the
> > appropriate order of the quadrature rule?
> >
> > In situations where grad(f) is needed, one must follow Doug's suggestion
> > and explicitly interpolate:
> >
> > f_approx = interpolate(f, V)
> > dot(grad(f_approx), grad(u))*dx
> >
> > grad(Expression) should just give an error message saying that the
> > operation is impossible, which is intuitive: it's a formula and there is no
> > information about the derivative. (The optimal solution would be to
> > accept an eval_derivative function or an optional string for the
> > derivative: Expression('sin(x[0])', derivative=['cos(x[0])', 0, 0])).
> >

> This could be added easily.

The error message needs to say that f needs to be interpolated, either
*explicitly* by

  f_approx = interpolate(f, V)

or *implicitly* by attaching a finite element to the expression. In
the latter case, the assembler will interpolate f locally on each cell
of the mesh which can be more efficient (in terms of memory usage)
since we never need to form the global vector of dofs. And this is
already part of the machinery (in UFL/FFC/UFC/DOLFIN).

> > In most cases, an Expression enters a form together with other quantities
> > that have associated function spaces. Isn't that sufficient?
> >

> If one is happy to evaluate the Expression at quadrature points but let
> the form compiler determine the number of points, this should be OK.

I think this is a good option, if we also do the following:

1. Allow setting the element explicitly at the time of construction
(could be a specific quadrature rule or a regular finite element).

2. An informative error message explaining how to interpolate an
expression, either explicitly by interpolate() or implicitly by
setting the element (1).

--
Anders