Hi ,
I have been profiling an application that parses many thousand, ver small xml documents.

I have noticed that the impl,entation of the SAXReader consumes more CPU and generates more garbage form the initialisation of the XMLReader and the ContentHandler that it takes in the parsing

some small modifications to the SAXreader so that the XMLReader and ContentHandler are not is not re-initialised, yealded a four times less garbage and 3 fold less CPU usage

I am happy to contribute the changes if anyone is interested

profiling was from jprobe, against dom4j 1.6.1, xerces 2.7.1 and java 1.4.2

Mike