You may want to look into using Apache's xerces/xalan implementation of
DOM/XPath.  I had no problems running normal XPath expressions such as
"/html/body/[EMAIL PROTECTED]'content']" against an XHTML document.  The code
for running XPath is much less convenient though...  I also had
serialization format issues with apache's implementation.  Looks like
maybe they've a new version now.

--Evan