I have an instance of java.io.InputStream containing some XML document.
I need to extract the value of the first <version-number> XML element
from this input stream and satisfy the following requirements:

1. Read only the necessary part of the stream. In other words, if
<version-number> is the first element in the document, then the
following elements do not need to be read.

2. The stream should not be affected. In other words, I should be able
to read this stream again from the beginning. Note that this stream does
not support mark() and reset() methods.

How can I do this efficiently using dom4j?

Is there any other Java API that is more appropriate to use to solve
this problem?

Thanks.

Alec