Thanks Edwin,
I may give that a whirl at some point.  Right now I've just hosted the dtd stuff locally.  Not sure if this is frowned upon, but it seems like it makes more sense than going out to w3 for every single request we get.
--Evan

Edwin Dankert wrote:
For some reason our server is having errors connecting to w3c.org, and
this is causing my dom4j apps to break.  I'd like to turn off validation
and not parse an external DTD

You could provide your own entity resolver:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/org/xml/sax/EntityResolver.html

You can use the entity resolver to point to a local copy of the DTD, or
a subset of this DTD to resolve the entity references.

but I also need to have the   entity in my xhtml.  My coworker was
saying that he had to use numeric entities, like   for   to be
able to use DOM without a DTD.(he's not using dom4j though)

Either use character references or declare the entities using an internal DTD
subset.

I don't know if it's xerces or dom4j, but somehow it ends up with a ?
instead of a non-breaking space when I serialize the document

The problem is with the underlying XML parser (dom4j does not know anything
about entity references). When an entity reference can not be resolved, the
parser might replace it with a '?' character.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#wf-entdeclared

Kind regards,
Edwin