Hello all, I am new to this list.

I'am using a small XSLT servlet filter to generate XHTML. Everything works
fine. I have to generate and output some comments to the resulting XHTML code.
This works only for the toplevel tag. Strange. Here is a kind of minimal
reproduction of this behaviour:

*** XML
<tag><anotherTag /></tag>

*** XSLT

   <xsl:output method="xml"
       doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
       doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"; />
         <xsl:template match="tag">
       <xsl:comment>A comment</xsl:comment>
       <tag>
           <xsl:apply-templates />
       </tag>
   </xsl:template>
     <xsl:template match="anotherTag">
       <xsl:comment>Another comment</xsl:comment>
       <anotherTag />
   </xsl:template>
  </xsl:stylesheet>

*** Java code snippet for testing

       Transformer transformer = factory.newTransformer(new StreamSource(
               xsltFile));
       DocumentSource source = new DocumentSource(xmlDocument);
       DocumentResult result = new DocumentResult();
       transformer.transform(source, result);
       Document transformedDoc = result.getDocument();
       XMLWriter writer = new XMLWriter(System.out,
OutputFormat.createPrettyPrint());
       writer.write(transformedDoc);

*** Result/Output

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE tag PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>

<!--A comment-->
<tag>
 <anotherTag/>
</tag>

The comment above the "anotherTag" is missing. Why?

If I remove the doctype attributes of the xsl:output method, everything works
fine

   <xsl:output method="xml" />

*** Result/Output

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!--A comment-->
<tag>
 <!--Another comment-->
 <anotherTag/>
</tag>

I do not understand this behaviour and did not find an easy workaround. I have
still some workaround ideas to check out, but I really would like to understand
this behaviour first.

Environment:

Win XP
Eclipse 3.3.2