I was wondering. Is it safe to cast Node to Element? I am using the
selectSingleNode method, which gives me a Node instance, but I need an
Element instance, to be able to set CDATA data on the node/element.

I have seen a lot of code when googling, that simply casts the return
value of selectSingleNode to Element, but is it safe?

 From an example in the dom4j cookbook, I see that selectNodes()
returns an (untyped) List, where each list entry then is casted to
Element, like this:

     XPath xpathSelector = DocumentHelper.createXPath("/people/
pers...@name='James']");
     List results = xpathSelector.selectNodes(doc);
     for ( Iterator iter = result.iterator(); iter.hasNext(); ) {
       Element element = (Element) iter.next();
       System.out.println(element.getName();
     }

Does the same hold for selectSingleNode() ?