Well, I guess it is time once again to bore everyone. Way back when the
Earth cooled, in 1973, I was going out on a hot double date with a girl
named Marilyn, a Carson-Newman College girl, who was going to church with
me back home in Morristown, Tennessee. For some strange reason our Youth
Minister needed to hitch a ride with us, so we crammed him into the back
seat of my trusty '67 Chevrolet Impala. As we pulled out of the First
Baptist Church parking lot I popped Toulouse Street into my 8-track, and
Jesus Is Just Alright started to play, at a very high volume I might add.
Well, the Youth Minister, John Timothy Sumners, informed me that the song
was sacreligious because Jesus should be more than "just alright" with us.
I think I told him to blow it out his ear.
My '67 Impala, Marilyn, and John Timothy have not been a part of my life
for many, many years, but the Doobies have outlasted them all. (I must
admit, Marilyn was a real blonde cutie, and I would have liked for her to
have been in my life a wee bit longer, sigh).

As an aspiring bass guitar player, I am proud to say I learned China Grove
as one of my first songs. Smoke On the Water and Louie, Louie came in as
close seconds. Of course an intelligent chimp could play them too. I slave
over a Fender Jazz Bass, an Ampeg amp, and a Zoom 506 special effects
system. In my younger years I diddled with a flute, and have a Yamaha. My
singing is pretty good, but I can't play and sing at the same time. Guess
it's why I can't chew gum and walk too.
Next batter up!!!!!

Slow Burnin' Steve
Steve Wice