Hey gang:

I got online late today and can't believe there hasn't been a post on this
yet. But last night, Michael McDonald was the guest artist to sit in with
the band on Late Show with David Letterman. He was actually sharing space in
the keyboard pit with Paul Schaffer.

After the first break, Dave actually took more time than usual to chat with
Michael. And Paul shared the fact that Mike wrote the theme to Dave's first
show, a short-lived morning talk show on NBC during the summer of 1980. They
even played the ditty, which wasn't more than four or six bars that just
kept repeating. Then Paul tried to do his vocals imitation of Michael for
the piece.

But the best part was Dave asking Mike about the Doobies and what they're up
to lately. Mike plugged the new album and said that they're on the road.

"So are you still a Doobie?" asked Dave.

"Sometimes," said Mike. "I'm like that drunk that sometimes wanders on
stage. I still have my lifetime membership card."

The band did intros and outros to the segments with a lot of Mike Doobie and
solo hits during the night. But there was no musical segment in the show
featuring him. Still, t was a great surprise. I only wish I would have been
alert enough to tape the thing.

--Thor