Hello from Silicon Valley,

Sorry for the wide distribution but there is a very real virus going
around. I got this info from someone who's job it is to either validate
or de-bunk viruses:

Dano

>  Hybris (Also known as Win32.Hybris)
>  Win32.Hybris is an e-mail worm which modifies WSOCK32.DLL to intercept
>  outgoing messages in a manner similar to Happy99 <happy99.htm> (which is
>  also known as SKA).
>  However, what differentiates Hybris is its ability to update itself and
>  extend its functionality using "plugins". This means that what began as a
>  simple e-mail worm can mutate, complete with new methods of spreading and
>  avoiding detection.
>  The body of Hybris contains the basic functions required for infecting
>  systems and propagating through e-mail. When the worm is run, it
immediately
>  attempts to modify WSOCK32.DLL in the Windows System directory. If the
file
>  is in use, it will create a modified copy and modify WININIT.INI so the
>  infected copy will replace the original the next time Windows is started.
>  The temporary copy of WSOCK32.DLL is given a random filename consisting
of 8
>  capital letters from A to P, for example "AFFJOPPF".
>  The modified WSOCK32.DLL intercepts connections made and data sent and
>  received by the host. It searches the information looking for e-mail
>  addresses. After some time, and after checking that there is an active
>  Internet connection, the worm will send its own e-mail message to the
>  addresses it collects. The message will include a copy of the worm as an
>  attachment.
>  The "From" and "Subject" fields, along with the message body and name of
the
>  attachment are almost infinitely variable, as they are derived from one
of
>  the plugins, called "text". The earlier versions of this plugin would set
>  the subject to:
>       "Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story!"
>  The body would be set to:
>       "Today, Snowhite was turning 18. The 7 Dwarfs always where very
>  educated and polite with Snowhite. When they go out work at mornign, they
>  promissed a *huge* surprise. Snowhite was anxious. Suddlently, the door
>  open, and the Seven Dwarfs enter..."
>  The filename was randomly chosen from the following list:
>       "sexy virgin.scr"
>       "joke.exe"
>       "midgets.scr"
>       "dwarf4you.exe"
>  There is also a "text" plugin which has a similar message and similar
>  filenames, except they are also in French, Spanish or Portuguese
depending
>  on the language of the host system. Another known "text" plugin will
>  generate the subject and body randomly from a list of words such as
"sex",
>  "horny", "pleasure", etc.
>  The other most common plugins include one that downloads new plugins from
>  web site, and one which can send and receive plugins from the
alt.comp.virus
> [...]

Hi gang.  I just wanted to let you know that I found what I suspect is a
virus in my outgoing mail options under the signatures tab.

Since I am unsure of the nature of the file which was labled
C:\Windows\kak.htm

Since I recall several months ago that a virus was circulating through the
outgoing signatures files, I thought I'd alert all of you to the
possibility of its existence and to check your computers.

If anyone can identify this as such, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rick