I haven't fully implemented Josh's feedback yet, but one other thing to
consider, the shield runs HOT, i.e., it uses a lot of power. I haven't even
begun looking at power management options or sleep modes yet, but it ran
down 4-AA cells in a few days. Not sure if that is good or bad, but I'd
like to look at strategies to lower its energy usage once I figure out the
stability issue (and assuming I don't ragequit). I suspect this is why
there are literally over a dozen different types of phy links in the IoT
space...

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 1:38 PM, seth wolf <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks for the notes. I'm adding a wired Ethernet shield this afternoon to
> my project in preparation of swapping it out for the CC3000 once all my
> connectivity works. Is the CC3000 so cantankerous that I should stick with
> the wired Ethernet. I was really planning on making this device more
> portable and not needing a wired connection.
>
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Joshua Noble <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>
>> >wouldn't a 2n2222 be insufficient to switch power?
>>
>> Ah, in retrospect that schematic is not correct. I was using a 2n2222
>> and it very well might not have been the best choice but it did work for
>> me. Anyhow, let us know how the reflash goes, I've still got my CC3000s
>> sitting around gathering dust so if there's a way to get them more reliable
>> I'd love to know.
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Peter Torelli <[email protected]
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Joshua,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the great summary, extremely similar to my path. The ARP
>>> cache issue from the spark.io forum was fascinating. I was headed down
>>> the path you took with a hardware reset, although I don't follow the
>>> schematic (e.g., the npn Vce is ground to ground!). Also, wouldn't a 2n2222
>>> be insufficient to switch power, wouldn't you use a NFET power transistor
>>> like an IRF530 and drive the Vin to the breakout regulator? Bah, doesn't
>>> matter, I'll try the firmware flash and then order a wifly.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> P
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 5:02 AM, Joshua Noble <[email protected]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Ah CC3000, how I don't miss you. I had a deeply unfun time with exactly
>>>> the same problems you had and wound up ultimately making a watchdog timer
>>>> that completely rebooted the arduino. My story is here:
>>>> http://thefactoryfactory.com/wordpress/?p=1140 and it ends with me
>>>> basically saying "don't use this thing". I actually had better luck with
>>>> the WiFly for long term connectivity *however* reliable friends of mine
>>>> have told me that the device firmware update released by TI fixes the
>>>> problems I ran into. Instructions on updgrading the firmware for the
>>>> internal 8051 are here
>>>> https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cc3000-wifi/firmware-upgrades
>>>>
>>>> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM, Robby <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> You mentioned its an Uno shield, are you using an Uno? I remember
>>>>> deciding it wasn't worth it on a Leonardo. (kind of worked on its own, if 
>>>>> I
>>>>> remember, I think it was breaking all the other sensors)
>>>>>
>>>>> How's your sketch size? I remember their library being quite large,
>>>>> only enough space left for one additional sensor library. Might be worth
>>>>> some time trying to shrink while you're in there. Wouldn't mind a copy if
>>>>> you end up working on it!
>>>>>
>>>>> Robby
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mon Nov 24 2014 at 11:41:10 PM Peter Torelli <
>>>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> I've been playing with a CC3000 (Adafruit shield) for a few weeks
>>>>>> now, and my web client code is naively based on the sample code from 
>>>>>> their
>>>>>> github, with a few tweaks based on discussions I've read on the adafruit
>>>>>> blog and lots and lots of debug messages.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I've seen some weird behavior with the device loosing the internet
>>>>>> connection, or failing to connect to the server where it just hangs and
>>>>>> needs a reboot (.connect() seems to be notorious for this), or having
>>>>>> innocuous lib calls hang so that my timeouts don't fire. I haven't added
>>>>>> any wacky hardware, just the UNO shield as sold by adafruit.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I'm [a] assuming the hardware is fine (lolz), and [b] I'm preparing
>>>>>> to write some kind of CTC based interrupt monitor and state-machine to 
>>>>>> keep
>>>>>> tabs if the network device is stuck somewhere for an inordinate amount of
>>>>>> time, and reset it accordingly (disconnect from AP or reconnect to 
>>>>>> server,
>>>>>> or full on reset, etc.).
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Has anyone written a more robust (perhaps self-aware) network lib for
>>>>>> the CC3000? Googling turns up the adafruit lib and lots of discussion 
>>>>>> about
>>>>>> similar errors with non-answers like "put a delay(1000) after every class
>>>>>> method call...". Feh.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> If not, I'll have whack at it and solicit input...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks for listenin', y'all.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Peter
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> dorkbotpdx-blabber mailing list
>>>>>> [email protected]
>>>>>> http://music.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/dorkbotpdx-blabber
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> dorkbotpdx-blabber mailing list
>>>>> [email protected]
>>>>> http://music.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/dorkbotpdx-blabber
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> joshua noble
>>>> http://thefactoryfactory.com
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> dorkbotpdx-blabber mailing list
>>>> [email protected]
>>>> http://music.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/dorkbotpdx-blabber
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> dorkbotpdx-blabber mailing list
>>> [email protected]
>>> http://music.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/dorkbotpdx-blabber
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> joshua noble
>> http://thefactoryfactory.com
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> dorkbotpdx-blabber mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> http://music.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/dorkbotpdx-blabber
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> dorkbotpdx-blabber mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://music.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/dorkbotpdx-blabber
>
_______________________________________________
dorkbotpdx-blabber mailing list
[email protected]
http://music.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/dorkbotpdx-blabber

Reply via email to