Hi

On 26/07/09 12:27, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
>> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=895
>
> It's odd they mention rsync but not one of the programs that kind of sit
> above it, e.g. http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/features.html

I've been using rdiff-backup for a good few years now, running from a
cron job overnight to back up to two backup machines (one off-site). The
"last backed-up" files/directory structure exactly replicate the
originals, and can be retrieved via Samba read-only shares. Anything
further back needs the rdiff-backup command line.

I used Mondo for a spell a few years back - good for "bare metal"
backups, but it needed a fair bit of work to get it all running, even
more to fully check out that it was doing it's job. In the end I opted
for g4u (NetBSD-based ghost program) over ftp.

I've also used afio for a number of years (to tape). It's advantage over
tar is that compression takes place on a per-file basis, so less likely
to end up with a totally useless backup in the event of local
corruption. It needs a script to drive it. In the end I decided that two
rdiff-backup's a night was enough without having to deal with tapes
every day as well.

Overlooking its unfortunate name, Bacula is probably well worth a look
as it's a Kern Sibbald effort and it also supports bare metal backups.

Cheers

Tim

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-08-05 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/