Hi Terry,

> It looks likely therefore (but not certain), that the KDE 4.3 upgrade
> is the problem.  When I installed it, I was aware that there were
> risks in doing so, and was quite prepared to trash everything and
> start again with a clean install of Jaunty.  However, it worked fine
> for several weeks before this occurred and so I would like to consider
> all the strategies available before I do anything that drastic.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way forward?  Can I
> roll back to standard Jaunty easily?

According to #dorset on IRC, we think the easiest way may be to install
a lightweight alternative to KDE, like xubuntu-desktop.  Switch to that.
And then use synaptic to remove the PPA and its packages, removing KDE.
Apparently, synaptic will show you installed packages that aren't in
repositories.  Once that's done, so KDE's gone and the PPA, install the
normal kubuntu-desktop.

That's the theory, anyway.

Cheers,

Ralph.

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2009-09-01 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/