Hi,

My upgrades to Kubuntu 9.10 didn't *all* go smoothly; my wife's Mesh (64 bit
Dual-core Athlon) locked up halfway through installation, with the inevitable
result of an unusable machine.  I still don't know what went wrong, but I'm
always ready to do a clean install, so I grabbed the 64 bit disc of the
servers and within around an hour I had a very fast system.

The only problem is the boot order.  On 9.04 I had set this so that Windows
was the default, because this is the family games machine and mostly runs
Windows games.  The new system has Kubuntu as the default and I cannot work
out how to change this.

9.04 had a Boot Settings tool as part of the System Settings tool.  As I
recall, it wasn't particularly sophisticated and simply allowed you to edit
menu.lst.  9.10 has no such file because it uses grub2.

I found my way to various pages on the internet including this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275.  These all talk about
menu.lst being replaced by /boot/grub/grub.cfg.  The trouble is that I don't
seem to have this file.

Does anyone know what I should do?

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2009-11-03 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/